Thursday, October 15, 2009

city of angels

Last night, sitting and waiting at the airport in Los Angeles, I sent j and a.stride a text-

Cars in the downpour.
8pm. Drinking coffee.
LA never sleeps.

It had been raining all day, just as it had been in the Bay. The city was full of wet and smog, long hours, endless highways, plastic cars. I was aching to fly home. Thinking about j and a, who'd been reminding me via texts and voicemail that my absence was felt. Thinking about that night a few years ago on the way back from Yuba, when I watched merhawi and a.stride trading off iPod tracks in the front seat and felt, more clearly than ever in my life, the weight of the men in my world. I was thinking about the way life shifts and comes into perfect, unexpected symmetry. Thinking about home. Felt so grateful I could have laughed out loud.



One of the photos I took in the LA area yesterday was of one of the most beautiful trees I've ever seen, on the CSU Fullerton campus. Another was a quick blind shot while driving west on the 105. Turns out that, totally unexpectedly, I photographed the same curves in wood and in concrete.

2 comments:

  1. I like your concept of 'unexpected symmetries'- life sure does seem to carry on with an awkward balance. I am also gonna think about your sense of 'the weight of men' in your life... I felt both moved and sad when I read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'home'...always a concept i hear in your words and images b. with a lot of conflict...
    Before I read your entry, I noticed that they were the same curves!!!!
    I really like both the shots, and the black and white works great.

    ReplyDelete