Thursday, January 14, 2010

favorite hoodie.

acrylic on canvas, 36"x36"

I finally (finally!) finished this painting, after literally years. It's usually been hard for me to actually finish artwork to my satisfaction- I have half a dozen paintings that I've started and never picked back up again. I forget how much I love the feeling of scrubbing acrylic paint off of my hands and arms (and face, and hair, and clothes...).

Painting myself is weird. Looking at my own face objectively is weird. "Objectively" meaning that when I'm actually working on the likeness of someone I know, I break things down into shapes and lines instead of seeing the whole, and then always have the experience of being shocked by my own feelings of love when I step back from the shapes and see that it's all come together to look like... well, someone I know. I got to have that experience working on this piece too, which was novel and surprising. I (am beginning to) know and love my own face.

1 comment: